Ben and Tricia's New Life in Europe

As you all know, Ben and I are a newly married couple (January 22, 2010) embarking on the adventure of living in Naples, Italy. We are incredibly blessed to be stationed on the Capodichino US Naval base for the next three years and plan to make the most of every minute of it!

This blog is intended to share our experiences and travels throughout Europe with our family and friends. Join us as we transition into life in the most romantic country in the world- Italy!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

La Dolce Vita


As I lay in bed early this morning, a sense of panic grips me with the realization that we have just over a month left in Italy. It’s incredibly ironic that if you had approached me just over a year ago, I would tell you that I couldn’t wait to get out of here. What can I say, these day trips to Positano grow on you!

Ben and I counted the number of countries we’ve been to in the past three years and counted 16. Crazily enough, I know that we must have forgotten one or two in there, and this doesn’t include different trips to various cities within these countries. I guess you could say that our little Camille is a world traveler. I don’t even flinch when we’re getting ready to take her on a flight anymore. That is, a short, two hour flight. Ask me again when I’ve just taken her on a journey from Virginia to San Francisco which would be 8 hours +. Sadly, it feels like we’re not much closer to family in California since it will still be a production to get there. Either way, we will still be in the US and I know that once I am over the reverse culture shock, it will feel wonderful. Camille will get to know her cousins during our frequent trips and Ben’s (hopefully, not lengthy, deployments). On the other hand, the bright side is that we will be closer to Ben's sweet parents and family on the East Coast and are very much looking forward to quality time with them! Boston is only a 2-3 hour trip by plane!

Over the past few days we have been househunting in Virginia Beach. It’s amazing what technology can do these days, we conducted a FaceTime (for all of of you non-mac users this is similar to Skype) call with a potential landlord at her beautiful home overlooking a lake. She was able to give us a “tour” of her home in real time! We had originally planned to wait until we got to VA to do our search but after looking online, speaking with realtors, and consulting with friends in the area we’ve realized it may be to our benefit to have something lined up by the time we get there. Dragging a jetlagged toddler through numerous houses for rent in addition to testdriving new cars doesn’t seem like our cup of tea. It’s been exciting looking at  potential homes! Base housing, though a good size at 1,600 sq ft, does not come with any additional add-ins and getting away from these white walls and white tile floors will be great. We’re now down to two favorite properties, both within a ten minute drive to Ben’s work. I’ve always reasoned that the shorter the commute, the more time we will have him home with us, so I’ll take it.

Meanwhile, it’s been a bit different here. The movers packed up our furniture, put it on the crates, and sent it off across the world. I relished even the time I was able to converse with our movers because I know the experience will be quite different on the other end! There’s nothing like the feeling of conversing with a culture that is so excited to be using what knowledge they have of the English language. They are so proud of themselves when they can express themselves in English and I love practicing with them. They are also so welcoming of pets and babies- each morning when Camille would wake they would greet her with huge smiles and play with her for a minute before resuming work. To Camille it doesn’t matter if you speak Italian, English, or Japanese. This little diva just loves the attention. Even Luigi was like royalty, as he pranced through the house nosing about everyone’s business while they packed. The movers would always stop to pet him and play with him.

What have I learned from my time in Italy? I’ve learned how to be a wife, a mother, and overcome cultural obstacles. I’ve learned a new language (no, I’m by no means fluent but I can communicate properly) and how to live a more simply when it comes to everyday life. Who needs modern conveniences when you can travel through Europe and learn about numerous different cultures?  And take advantage of shoe markets. ;p I’ll take leather boots at 30 euro anyday over 7-11 or gasp, even Whole Foods, anyday!
I’ve learned how to love a culture that I found so difficult to relate to in the beginning. And to find joy in my interactions with them. Even now, I jump at the opportunity to leave “Little America” and go out in town as often as possible to be around them. I’ve learned how to drive when I primarily refused to. Yes, it does feel like a video game sometimes- how to get from point A to point B without hitting anyone, anybody, or getting lost- but I’ve done it. And above all, I’ve learned how to put stresses of a job aside and focus completely on the one most important priority in my life: my family. While I’m incredibly sad to leave our friends, American and Italian, behind, I know its time to start the next chapter in our lives and move on. I’m going to make the most of the time we have left – every day of it- and embrace what’s in store for us in the future.

The first year that we were here you could say I probably went to Ikea about 10 times in search of furnishing our #1 home and #2 home here. Since then I have not gone anywhere near the place. This morning I will be going with a friend to help him find furniture for his next three years here. While I am able to look back fondly at the memories Ben and I have created during our time here, someone is about to create his. 

No comments:

Post a Comment