Ben and Tricia's New Life in Europe

As you all know, Ben and I are a newly married couple (January 22, 2010) embarking on the adventure of living in Naples, Italy. We are incredibly blessed to be stationed on the Capodichino US Naval base for the next three years and plan to make the most of every minute of it!

This blog is intended to share our experiences and travels throughout Europe with our family and friends. Join us as we transition into life in the most romantic country in the world- Italy!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cucinando di Vera: Ben's First Italian Cooking Class

Tonight Ben participated in his first Italian cooking class. I took pictures to document that yes, my husband, actually does cook (and he's good at it too :) ).




After questioning why we were paying close to $80 for an Italian "meal," Ben learned shortly that you are paying for the experience. During our time here, I have attended "Cooking with Vera", an Italian cooking session hosted by an ex-pat out of her home. What do you get when you go to a cooking class at Vera's house? A first course (actually several first courses), a main course, a side dish, a dessert, and unlimited wine. Not to mention bringing home extras which are good for another entire meal.


Ben had the duty of peeling and chopping the garlic (what he does best in my kitchen :) ) and sauteeing spinach, while I basically did everything else Vera asked me to do. The room is set up with different tables, so that everyone casually talks while the chop, saute, mix, you name it. Vera simply yells for attention when she is explaining a technique or tips on perfecting the recipe. It is a fun time because you not only get to congregate with other people and chat while you're cooking, but everyone has the opportunity to sit down at the end and enjoy the full meal and fruits of our labor.



It is a running joke between the regulars at Vera's to watch her Italian assistant, Donna, who does everything requested of her but rolls her eyes and grumbles at every opportunity possible. Not to mention takes smoke breaks every ten minutes. At night time Vera hires someone to watch everyone's cars in the grassy lot next to her house, to ensure that there are no break ins or incidents of theft. Keep in mind that this is not an unsafe area, just part of what they do to avoid sketchy situations in Naples! Hey, at least we prepare for the worst!

On the menu tonight: grilled portobello mushrooms with garlic and parsley dressing, spinach and ricotta pizza, spinach and egg pastry (very similar to quiche), Neapolitan lasagna, saltimbocca, and Italian chocolate mousse for dessert. We left with our bellies very full- Ben made sure to stuff our plastic take home containers with food "for the baby" (I'd be lucky if I had the opportunity to sniff the food before it goes off to work with him tomorrow)- and a full understanding of the Italian cooking experience in someone's home. What I will have are the food smells which remain on my clothes and my hair. Cooking in a Neapolitan kitchen may quite possibly give cooking in a Filipino kitchen a run for the money.

Two of the ladies talked about how they will be giving American cooking lessons to Italian ladies from their Church. A few of the Italian ladies' favorites? Enchiladas and banana bread! I guess technically enchiladas are not American but hey, it's definitely different from anything in the Italian cuisine!

My friend Kelly and I are always cooking buddies. We also made our first turkey together at my home over Thanksgiving!

To top off our night? We were minding our own business when we approached the base, got pulled over by the Carabinieri across the street, were asked several times in a row by the Carabinieri for our "documenti", were in the process of handing them over, and were asked, "American?" Umm...yes, and we just pointed to the base three times and tried to play dumb because we had absolutely no idea why we were pulled over...but were waved off saying "Okay, no problem," with a little wave, big smiles, and a honk goodbye as they drove by us. We are still scratching our heads over that one.

All three of us, Ben, baby, and I, will be sleeping well tonight!

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I lived in Naples and took coooking classes from Vera and am trying to contact her. Could you please e-mail me a contact e-mail for her, please? My name is Melissa and my e-mail address is thegaeta5@yahoo.com! Gratzie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny I am also searching for Vera because I have lost my cook book that I purchased from her when stationed in Naples. I would really like to order another from her if you could pass my contact info to her.. dsmith514@cox.net Thanks alot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! Please contact me at carrie.casto28@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cookbook. I still have it after 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also took cooking classes from Vera back in the 1990's. I would love to be back in touch with her. I still have my cookbook, although it is dog eared and stained.
    svba3@cox.net (Shelley)

    ReplyDelete